Bundeseehr prepares for support in the coronavirus crisis. Although many soldiers have been infected, the troop’s ability to mobilize is guaranteed, Defense Minister Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer said. “We all need to be aware that the fight against the Corona virus is a marathon,” said Defense Minister Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer in Berlin. “We are preparing, if the capacity of the civilian forces reaches their limits, to support the Bundswehr with its assets,” she added, referring to reservists in the sanitation sector.
According to its data, about 120,000 reservists and reservists are already organized in the reservist unit. She said she anticipates about 75,000 of them are available and ready for action immediately. Preparations have begun in the sanitation sector since last week. As of Thursday (19.03) afternoons, more than 2000 reservists have appeared, 935 of whom can be immediately engaged. The Bundeswehr, however, is still helping in different directions, she said.
Meanwhile there are 50 claims based on Article 35 of the Basic Law. Requirements range from safeguards to oversight of critical infrastructure facilities, logistics tasks to the construction of emergency beds. Meanwhile 52 infected The main purpose of the armed forces is to ensure readiness for action both at home and abroad.
The big challenge is that in the meantime the Bundeseehr according to Inspector General Bernhard Zorn has 52 infected and a total of 397 cases suspected of infection. Kramp-Karrenbauer stressed that the ability to act is guaranteed, that it applies to all those who have a mandatory military service. Meanwhile, only the qualification of soldiers in Iraq is excluded, Zorn said. Kramp-Karrenbauer said that she would discuss with EU defense ministers this week what challenges the armed forces currently face.